Tuesday, November 2, 2010


Another week, another "seeing one of my all-time favorite bands in concert, meeting the lead-singer and taking a picture with him, but being too fucking nervous and overwhelmed to say anything that doesn't sound moronic" experience...

This time it was Portugal. The Man, and instead of having to go to L.A. I literally walked three minutes down to the UCen.


We got there 20 minutes early and were in the front row, smack dab in the center.

Mmm, John Gourley's sweat. ^__^

There were some parallels between this and the Starfucker concert. For starters, both times I eagerly awaited hearing my favorite song, and was a little anxious knowing that it wasn't even close to being one of their most popular songs... and then, to my immense satisfaction, they both closed with them (Boy Toy and AKA M80 The Wolf, respectively) and left me feeling so grateful.

Then there's also being too shy in front of Ryan last week, and John this week. I mean, admittedly - they are hot, talented artists that I admire, and whose work is a major part of my life. So I understand that I'm more than a little intimidated. That said, I need to suck it up, dammit! Moving forward, I'm just going to say something like, "[Insert song] is my favorite, I'm so happy you played it. What were you thinking about specifically when you wrote it?" That way we'd actually have an intellectual conversation and I'd gain valuable insight on the literal meaning behind the poetic, sometimes abstract veil of the lyrics.

All in all, in the past week or so I've been lucky enough to see and meet some of my favorite musicians in person - not to mention an extremely exciting Halloween stuffed in between. Life is great, and I couldn't be much happier.

Oh, and check this out if you're not a PTM listener! Both the song and the video are exemplary.


No comments:

Post a Comment